A Patient Portal is a safe, secure and convenient way for General Practices to connect with their patients online.
Patient Portals offer secure online features so practices can support their patients to manage their own healthcare. These portals can increase practice efficiency, delivery of care and the quality of health information available to patients.
Te Awakairangi Health Network can assist practices to implement patient portal in a way that suits them. Practices are able to customise their patient portal, meaning they can open select services, control the number of patients enrolling on the portal and easily manage the workflow change that may occur. Over time the number of services usable via portal can be expanded and the number of patients enrolling can be increased.
Patient Portals have the ability to allow patients to:
- Order repeat prescriptions
- Book appointments
- See their lab results
- See clinical notes from their GP
- See their current diagnosis
- See their medical conditions
- See their immunisation and vaccination history
- Receive reminders and recalls from the practice team
- Send and receive secure messages from their GP or a practice nurse.
General Practice teams can choose which services to offer patients.
Patient Portals usually reduce calls and text messages to and from patients, enabling General Practice teams to spend more time on seeing their patients and less time on administration.
Patient portals can:
- improve clinical safety by giving patients an online record of clinical instructions
- improve workflow management
- reduce paperwork, phone calls, and text messages
- improve chronic condition management by enabling patients to monitor their health and set their own health goals
- give patients 24/7 access to health information without extending practice hours.
Ministry of Health consumer information website – Patient Portals (patientportals.co.nz).
For more information about support available contact phone the Practice Support, Systems and Processes
Phone: 04 566 5320
Email: [email protected]